Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I'm Bugged Over the Mole Problem *Updated!*

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, Lourdes is the Mole.


It's not often I can be fooled by TV.  But they got me this time.  After weeks of speculation I had come firmly down on the side that Marina Peralta was the mole.  There was no doubt in my mind that Hal was a false flag and all signs pointed to Marina.


Wrong!

I fell for the ol' double false flag.  The ol' "pull the rug from out under you" TV trick.

Sucker!

I am chagrined.  So there are two things that I immediately gleaned from this.  (Aside from, one, being a sucker.)

  1. I am so glad Marina isn't the mole after all.  I love Gloria Reubens in her role.  She's been such a great addition to the show.  Her chemistry with Noah Wyle has been unmistakeable.
  2. Lourdes?  Seriously?  What is her connection with the Espheni?  Am I so jaded with the series by this time that I missed the interaction with Lourdes and the enemy?  When did she get "infected"?  (See Lourdes infection update below!)

Does this really work as Lourdes being the mole?  She just can't go on shooting everyone that is a threat.  Wouldn't she and the Espheni be better served if she just laid low and stole all their secrets?  Eventually, high profile murder is going to get you caught.  What kind of spy takes those chances?  Security is going to be so locked down now that no one would get even close to Peralta.  Well, except her doctor maybe and with Anne being gone I guess that leaves Lourdes.

Gulp!

We'll have to see how successfully Falling Skies pulls this off.  Are we going to get some back story into Lourdes interacting with the Espheni?  A series of explanatory flashbacks?

Or did she have sex with Hal and he infected her?

Yuck, I hope not!


So, now someone with the complete trust of all is their greatest threat.  Terrific.

I wonder what to make of the scene where Lourdes is knelt in prayer.  Is there a vestige of her former self still alive in there somewhere, the one that embraced Jesus as her savior?  Or was that another false flag just to perpetuate her cover for the benefit of the Charleston survivors and we the viewing audience?


Remember when Hal used to constantly fight with himself over the control of his tortured psyche?  The battle between good Hal and evil Hal?  Why doesn't that happen with Lourdes?  Shouldn't she stumble and out herself much like Hal did?



I'm guessing it's the sheer number of creepy crawly things that are now setting up shop inside Lourdes that is preventing this internal struggle.

She is way gone.

So now she is the savior of mankind right?


Cochise did say that once the Espheni Sky-Net goes up that all their Beings including their converted Skitters et-al will be immune to it's effects.  Humanity will die off within months according to our favorite Volm.  But what about the converted or hybrid humans?



Baby Lexie should be good right?

She's a product of the Espheni.  To a degree so is Ben and Tom.  Both infected.  Anne was infected also we have to assume.  Her baby was a product of her and Tom.  Tom was infected.  Hal was infected at one point and he slept with Maggie.  Are they both safe now?

It may well be that Lourdes intends on infecting everyone in Charleston with her bio-mechanical insects or perhaps even through some genetic level.  Everyone will be saved.  Infected and enslaved, yes, but saved none the less.




If Lourdes is outed as the mole we could also expect her to be captured.  This would afford Roger Kadar the "Rat King" to synthesize a cure either by getting Espheni DNA from Lourdes or taking the bugs from her and replicating and injecting them into the Charleston survivors.  Not a full dose, just enough to protect them from the Overlord Sky-Net.

Not a bad theory.

You may ask yourselves, "What if the Volm weapon is effective won't that save everyone?"

Eh, my other theory is that humanity with their mounting suspicions will drive the Volm away.  It'll turn out the Volm were the good guys all along but it will be too late for humanity and they will be left to their own devices.

C'mon Rat King!



Gif and tumblr photos courtesy of Classy but Sassy and Luihell.  Good stuff, check them out.


*Update!*

I was perusing the internet this morning for an image Lourdes for my Tumblr page when I happened upon this little gem.


It show Lourdes praying by the bedside of the recently returned Tom Mason from the season 2 opener, "Worlds Apart".  This answers my question when did Lourdes ever have the opportunity to be infected by the Espheni Bio-bugs?  I have to assume they came from Tom!  That means she's been infected since then and unbeknownst to Tom he was the carrier.

Twist!


Bedside picture courtesy of wormholeriders.net.










3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave!!!

    I am finally caught up after watching most of this season delayed. Thank you so much for the blog and particularly your historical and classic film homage insights. Top notch! I have a lot of films I need to catch up on.

    I hope you don't mind if I lump comments on previous episodes in here.

    Lourdes is a mole ?!! I have multiple reactions: Yay! They surprised me, someone I did not guess. And then, Ok does that really track? I guess her behavior all season has been low key and remarkably stable, which should have been a tip off. She lost Jamil and then burried herself in her work, that tracks, I guess. Interesting that her religious roots come back into play now, they all but ignored that aspect of her character after season 1. We know that she was alone with Tom when he was infected with bug(s) and that she had been infatuated with Hal. No doubt that after Jamil died, dark bug-Hal could have cozied up to her. Will we see the origin of her infection? I hope so if only to make it feel like less of a blindside. I never bought that Hal was the mole simply because Manchester didn't seem surprised that his shooter was standing. Somehow I still suspect Marina. We think 2 moles is it, but why stop there? As far as we know Lourdes has no knowledge of the Volm weapon, that would seem Espheni mission number 1. Destabilizing the human resistance via killing off the command structure is useful, but the Volm weapon is far more important. She was also keeping an eye on Alexsis and possibly trying to be alone with her, maybe to abduct her?

    OK so onto other issues...
    Wouldn't it be a neat twist if Alexis is part Volm, not Espheni? I can't come up with a logical justification given that *we* didn't see the Volm until after Ann was pregnant. (not that they couldn't have been lurking around long before they officially outed themselves to camp Charleston in the S2 finale) Yet I can't give up on this idea. The Espheni have plenty of harnessed human captives of reproductive age, so why bother with Tom and Ann if they want to make a hybrid? My guess is that the reason we haven't seen Karen in a while is that when we see her next she will be obviously pregnant, by Hal. The Espheni counter-strike to Alexis. Why else was Karen seducing Hal? The bug clearly had enough control over him that she didn't need to use that tactic. This would revive the Karen-Hal-Maggie triangle.

    Cochise and the Volm. I have to say I'm really disappointed with how little we've seen of this new race. Yes, the budget may be limited, but come on. They were the big deal of the S2 finale and we've barely seen them.

    Matt. I love what they have done with his character this season. The kid is bringing it.

    Ben. I like the dynamic with his spiked friend (sorry don't recall her name) and that they kept their spikes. Embrace what makes you different and empowers you, why not?

    Pope. There have been some highs and lows. He's shown his vulnerabilty a couple of notable times this season. Of course, followed up by a fresh flash of bravado. He's Pope and he's not going to go all Hallmark card on you, his wounds run deep and are not resolved. When it counts he's your Han Solo.

    OK I think I've rambled on enough for tonight. I'm really enjoying the show and your blog Dave. Keep up the good work!!!

    Resisting in Boston, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne welcome back!

    Where were you, in Charleston fighting with the resistance? I'm pretty sure your assignment was for Charlestown. We'll have to double check your paperwork.

    I'm intrigued by your Volm theory concerning baby Lexie. It's a good thing Anne went to Dr. Kadar instead of Lourdes. But now I have a feeling Lourdes will track down the Rat King and steal his findings. She'll either find out about your "Volm connection" or confirm the Espheni connection. Hmmm, the Espheni have her anyway so that doesn't jive. My brain just went on Karen alert so I feel she's mixed up in this somehow.

    Maybe Karen has her own plans independent of the Espheni. That would be another twist. So instead of an Espheni counter strike to Alexis, Karen may have something wholly different up her sleeve thanks to her time with Hal. Eh, now I'm being too complicated. (Then again she did meet Hal in the gloom of the night away from the Espheni camp.)

    Ben's girlfriend is named Denny and it is too bad they haven't explored that relationship any further. They are cute together and their relationship should be more interesting than Hal and Maggie's. Just saying.

    I haven't disliked a character on TV as much as Pope since Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester. Pope is all over the place and inconsistently written. Sorry, I can't stand him.

    So good to have you back Lynne and be sure your orders say "Southie" not South.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it was Lourdes since Manchester's murder, he said "Oh, it is time already" which is something someone would say to a doctor when they have an appointment, it couldn't have been Anne as she was busy with something.

    ReplyDelete